The latest incident involving a faulty battery recently occurred on a flight from Beijing to Melbourne.
After 2 hours into the flight southward, a sleeping woman with headphones on her head was awoken by an explosion. The woman described the incident to the authorities a follows.
“As I went to turn around I felt burning on my face”.
“I just grabbed my face which caused the headphones to go around my neck.”
“I continued to feel burning so I grabbed them off and threw them on the floor. They were sparking and had small amounts of fire.”
“As I went to stamp my foot on them the flight attendants were already there with a bucket of water to pour on them. They put them into the bucket at the rear of the plane.”
The explosion was large enough to burn the passenger and leave blisters along with black ash on her face. The fire from the exploding battery was hot enough to melt the battery and the case of the headphones. Once the fire was out, the damaged headphones had to be pried form the cabin’s floor. It was then transferred to a bucket of water which was placed in the rear of the aircraft for the reminder of the flight.
For the duration of the flight after the explosion the toxic smell of burnt electronics and plastic along with the odor of burnt hair remained in the air that caused some of the other passengers to have trouble breathing until they could depart the aircraft upon landing in Melbourne.
The Australian Transport Safety Bureau has been the first to reiterate the safety warning of batteries in personal electronic devices that was originally released last year when the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phones were starting fires because of defective power sources. The complete warning from the Australian Government Civil Aviation Safety Authority can be read at this link.
A video of the passengers can be watched at this You Tube link.
Sources: YouTube, Australian Transportation Safety Bureau, CTV News